I truly don’t have a favorite food, because I love mostly everything, but if I had to choose a favorite side dish, it would be risotto. While risotto can be a main meal – I simply choose to have it as a side because it can be pretty filling and is all carbs. Having just a little bit for a side dish is perfect to get your carb fix in without going too overboard.
Now I don’t know about you, but when my family and I first started making risotto – we would get frustrated. It seemed to take so long and was such a pain to constantly watch and stir. Plus, after so much effort – it still didn’t seem to come out great as we know it could be.
After plenty of trial and error, we came up with this delicious creamy risotto, that is even better than some restaurants. I’m not even trying to toot my own horn, it’s legit that good. And the best part – IT’S SO EASY!
It’s the perfect dish to make if you want to impress someone or even if you just want to make a nice meal for yourself or your family. This recipe goes so well with any protein – fish, chicken, steak, etc. It’s even good with just veggies!
As it is one of the last nights with my mom is visiting, we decided to make a nice meal with scallops, asparagus, and this risotto recipe.
Serves 4 – 6
- ½ small onion
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of Arborio rice
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- ¼ cup of parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon of canola oil (or olive oil)
- Preheat oven to 425*
- Chop up ½ of a small onion & mince 3 cloves of garlic.
- In a pot over medium-high heat, put 1 tablespoon of canola oil and add the onions. Stir and continue to cook them until they are softened. After a few minutes, add the garlic and stir,
- Add the Arborio rice to the pot and combine the ingredients. Let them cook together for a few minutes.
- Next, add the chicken broth and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, leaving 1 tablespoon of lemon juice left. Stir the risotto and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover the pot and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- When you take it out of the oven, you should see a little bit of liquid. Add parmesan cheese and the remaining lemon juice and stir in – melting the cheese within the risotto. Add some salt & pepper to taste.
- Let it cool for a few minutes before enjoying! It will be very hot.